Monday, April 2, 2007

My bike...

Rwanda, the land of a thousand hills.

Imagine all these hills, for you that have your mountain bikes or rollerblades it would either be a thrill or let’s say a hell of a work out. My thoughts are forget the up hill just let me have a nice bike and feel the wind in my hair as I go as fast as humanly possibly down these killer hill sides.

Now let’s see where can I find such machine to let me enjoy this ride. While driving one day to Kibuye (the far western province, right on Lake Kivu) I saw it, it was perfect. I have never seen something like this before. I had to have it, what a ride it would be. A bike! Home made, very sturdy and I’m sure not to expensive. I stopped the car, called the boy over and in my best Kinyarwandan (local language) told the boy that I wanted to buy his bike from him for 10,000frw ($10). A bit surprised, the boy says 20,000frw ($20).
This went on for a while, finally he agreed, the payment was made and he helped me to load it into the car.Wow I had my bike finally.

But don’t you think for one moment that I will be caught dead going down one of these hills with this thing. Unlike the Rwandese, you should see these kids ride these things.
It sure makes a great souvenir to sit on my back porch area though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice ride dude! Hey you might be able to fit all the kids on this thing at one time! Bill says "I always new you were a biker at heart"!
Have fun, stay safe! Miss you! Love Bill and Michelle Corbin

Anonymous said...

So finally you got the bike! To me it lookes like a kind of scooter. So funny. Did you all practice it?
Is there also a break?? ;-)
Happy Easter and God bless you.

Anonymous said...

I WAS IN YOUR DTS TEAM IN 1995 KONA HI!

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN FIND 10 OF US FROM THAT DTS ON FACE BOOK UNDER KINGS MANSION KONA 1995 DTS ALUMNI GROUP OR JUST SIGN UP AND FIND US BY NAME IM IN CONTACT WITH DEBBIE BOOER AND KEN DIXON AND SCOTT WALLACE AND JED BEAL AND MORE! EMAIL ME PERSONALLY @REDHORCHATA@YAHOO.COM GLAD I FOUND YOU WERE TRYING TO RE CONNECT EVERY ONE!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.